Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kentucky Hot Brown (not a euphemism )

This is a long overdue post, but I was uploading the photos off my phone and came across this gem. I had some leftover bacon from one of my traditional waffle breakfasts, and I wanted to do something fun with it. Besides just eat it, of course. I dug out my copy of Sara Perry's Everything Tastes Better With Bacon to have a look. And what caught my eye was the recipe for a "Kentucky Hot Brown". Despite sounding like something that belongs in Urban Dictionary (and, no surprise, it's there), this is a sandwich made with turkey and cheese sauce that is broiled (hence the brown). Sounds good to me! It actually sounds a lot like a sandwich I used to have at a diner that my father used to take us to sometimes, and sounded like a good idea.

The cheese sauce was simple, just a roux, some milk, wait for it to thicken, add the shredded cheddar, salt and pepper. The interesting addition was using Worcestershire sauce, which was a nice addition. I then layered the bread on a sheet pan, added some sliced tomatoes and turkey slices, and poured the cheese sauce liberally on top. It looked like this:

03152009044

I just popped it under the broiler until it got nicely browned and topped it with crumbled bacon and chopped parsley:

03152009045

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment