Thursday, March 12, 2009

the cheese I'd be remembered by

In the intro photo post I'm represented by what looks like it might be a chocolate-covered cheesecake. It's actually a homebrew cheese, and if I recall which cheese it was, it was scary bad. Scary because you put it inside your mouth and it reminds you, cheese is a microbiological experiment. Dear heavens what organism tastes like that. Bitter, foul, and lingering, hard to wash out.

That was supposed to be a Gouda.

Want to know the big trick I've learned so far in cheesemaking? Don't age them in wax. I know people do it and make them work, but I haven't. At best, my waxed cheeses end up vaguely cheddary, nothing much going for them. The unwaxed ones, though, have been cheeses I'd really want to eat, not just in the spirit of science.


Here's a cheese that was supposed to be a miniature Emmenthaler-style: a thermophilic culture, and Propionibacterium shermanii. It didn't end up much like Emmenthal at all (no eyes, aged harder), but it was good stuff. "Hard but cuttable, yellow to amber, has small air pockets, tastes meaty, aged-Gouda butterscotchy." Made 2008-01-20, eaten 2008-08-19.


From 2008-08-19 cheese

3 comments:

  1. That cheese, by any other name, would still taste like feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first cheese, the one belched forth from Satan's very bowels, really had some amazing properties. Probably the most amazing was how long the finish was on it. Up front, it didn't taste like a whole lot, with maybe a very vague sort of cheesiness, like you're standing in a room with a good cheese. And then, the express train from Bitter Town arrives, right on schedule. And it just keeps going. You want it to stop, but that train stops for no taste bud. It's punishing in its rhythm, just hammering away at your taste buds. When will it stop? When will your life return to normal? Is the world going grey? My god, will I ever be able to taste things normally again.

    OK, I think the bitter is gone. Maybe the next bite will be better? OH GOD THE PAIN!

    ReplyDelete